Startling levels of workplace stress among IT personnel have been revealed, causing more IT workers than ever before to look for a change of employment.
GFI Software's third annual IT Admin Stress Survey revealed that 68% of IT staff are actively considering leaving their current role due to job-related stress, despite apparent economic and staffing improvements in many businesses across the country.
For the third year running, high levels of work stress is contributing to high levels of job dissatisfaction with in excess of two thirds of IT professionals looking for a new job due to the pressures imposed on them in their current role. Despite improvements in the economy reducing budget pressures, the level of job dissatisfaction among UK IT professionals has reduced only slightly over 2013, when 73% of those surveyed reported they were actively looking to leave their current job due to stress.
The blind, independent study was conducted by Opinion Matters among 200 UK administrators in companies of 10 or more people. The survey gauged respondents' stress levels at work and revealed their opinions on their main stressors, as well as how their stress level compares to that of friends and family and how it affects their personal and professional lives.
Key findings from the survey include:
- 67% of all UK IT staff surveyed consider their job stressful - just 1% lower than 2013
- Over a third (36%) have missed social functions due to overrunning issues at work
- A further 36% also report missing time with their families due to work demands on their personal time
- 28% of IT staff regularly lose sleep over work pressures
- 19% have suffered stress-related illness, up on 2013, while a further 15% complain of feeling in poor physical condition due to work demands
- One sixth (16.5%) of respondents have had a relationship fail or be severely damaged due to their job
- One quarter (24%) feel they are the most stressed person in their social or family group
Established in 1957, BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, promotes wider social and economic progress through the advancement of information...
ClickSoftware is engaged in service and workforce management software solutions and products.