CBR takes a look at some of the most interesting firms working in the UK’s data centre sector.
Founded in 2005, Sentronex provides managed IT services to London’s financial community including IT support, Disaster Recovery (DR), consultancy, cloud computing and connectivity as well as hosting solutions. With its own data centre in outer London, Sentronex feels it is well placed to support the hosting needs and requirements of a range of City-based clients from hedge funds and asset managers, to larger brokers and investment banks.
Over the past 12 months, Sentronex has invested heavily in its infrastructure and following £250,000 worth of capital investment, the data centre underwent a full refurbishment and renovation. Sentronex installed a new air conditioning system that uses the latest free-cooling technology and works with Mitsubishi CRAC units to improve energy efficiency. The company also carried out power and UPS upgrades, enhanced fire prevention systems throughout and extended the main data hall to increase the facility’s cabinet capacity.
Moving forward, Sentronex has plans in place to make systems even more resilient and consequently move the data centre from a tier 2 to a tier 3 facility.
At a glance:
– The latest, eco-friendly technology: despite rising power prices, the data centre operates an eco-friendly, free air cooling system that has halved energy costs. These savings are passed directly onto Sentronex clients while bringing the facility in line with green standards.
– Location benefits: on the outskirts of London in Romford, Essex, the data centre is easily accessible via train from Liverpool Street Station yet geographically far enough away from the business and financial districts of the capital to minimise concern.
– Scalability of service offering – in the last 12 months, Sentronex has increased their hosting capacity at the data centre by an impressive 130%. There is now the platform to scale to support many more financial clients as well as scale existing clients’ solutions as required.
– Fully managed 24/7/365: at the Sentronex data centre, there is the added bonus of a fully qualified 1st and/or 2nd line engineer on site around the clock to react immediately should any issue arise.
5. Alert Logic
Alert Logic provides security and compliance for cloud, hybrid and on-premise infrastructure, allowing customers to benefit from deep security insight and continuous protection at a lower cost than legacy security offerings. Fully managed by a team of experts, the Alert Logic Security-as-a-Service solution provides network, system and web application protection immediately, wherever your IT infrastructure is deployed. The company partners with the some of the best cloud platforms and hosting providers to protect more than 2,700 organisations worldwide. Built for cloud scale, our patented platform manages Petabytes of data, analyzes 255 million security events monthly, and identifies 40,000 incidents a month that are managed by our security operations team. Alert Logic recently expanded internationally by establishing UK offices in London and Cardiff.
At a glance:
– Alert Logic secures data and applications in any infrastructure, be it cloud, on premise or a hybrid environment.
– The company has its own dedicated Security Operations Centre and team to provide 24×7 support and protection for customers.
– It has expanded to the UK in 2014 and has its own data centre based in Cardiff (live August 2014).
– Alert Logic partners with the leading cloud and hosting providers and protects over 350 organisations in the UK.
– It a rapidly growing UK customer base as a result of its new UK data centre and operations.
MigSolv markets itself as a data centre operator with a difference. Borne out of one of Europe’s most swuccesful independent data centre consultancies, MigSolv’s award-winning data centre is operated by the very people who developed and wrote the processes for running a service-led data centre that are now regarded as industry best practice. Unlike many data centres, MigSolv does not outsource the facility management, instead preferring to operate the facility with its own in-house maintenance team that are on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The company operates on a preventative-plant maintenance scheme rather than a reactive plant repair scheme.
While ensuring that the data centre is one of the most secure data centres anywhere in the UK, the environmental efficiency is also high on the agenda with all cost savings shared with customers. MigSolv takes a huge pride providing exceptional service to its customers. Offering colocation at low cost, MigSolv believes that both resilience and redundancy are paramount and of equal importance as security and efficiency – above all, the service provided to the customer is intended to be exceptional and consistent.
At a glance:
– Winner of the EU Code of Conduct for Data Centre Efficiency
– Winner of the EU Green Light Programme
– ISO 27001, 14001 and 9001 Certified, along with PCI DSS Level 1 accreditation
– Shortlisted as ‘Best Colocation Provider of the Year 2014’ at the International Data Centre and Cloud Awards
– Consistently given 5 out of 5 stars for service by its customers.