News: Detailed State of DevOps report reveals average spending, application speed acceleration as code is released faster and faster
The 2015 State of DevOps Report revealed 77% of UK organisations introduced DevOPs budgets and support teams with 35 per cent spending £1 million or more per year.
Findings include the volume of applications that businesses support is up 49 per cent, teams need to deliver software faster said 66 per cent, almost half release code more frequently (49 per cent) and reduce the number of bugs found late in the development cycle (52 per cent).
"The pace at which companies need to securely deliver and update applications has increased drastically over the last few years," said Iain Chidgey, vice president, International Sales, Delphix, which commissioned the report. "Traditionally IT could update applications once or twice a year, but today expectations are much higher, with releases being pushed out weekly, daily or even hourly. The 2015 State of DevOps Report points toward continued adoption of DevOps practices within organizations across the UK."
On average, organisations have started seven DevOps initiatives in the last 24 months, with this figure set to rise to nine in the next two years as DevOps initiatives become standardised.
Although DevOps has established a foothold in the enterprise, the research shows the movement still lacks a strong definition. In total, 59 per cent of respondents believe DevOps is somewhat to strongly defined, but there is disagreement over whether the development side (28 per cent), the operations side (22 per cent) or both combined (50 per cent) share the responsibility for DevOps initiatives, and how those are defined:
Developers and system administrators collaborating to ease the transition between development and production (64 per cent)
Evolving operations to meet the demands of agile software development teams (57 per cent)
The study shows that typically, small teams of experts within deployment automation, data management and continuous integration, support DevOps initiatives.
More than half (52 per cent) of businesses have three teams with some DevOps responsibility. The remaining 48 per cent have an average of five dedicated DevOps groups.
The success of DevOps is measured by the number of defects found in the software development lifecycle (SDLC) with 57 per cent agreeing that teams would spend less time recoding if defects were identified earlier, which currently takes up nearly a quarter of time.
Currently, over half of businesses (56 per cent) identify defects or issues either once the application has been deployed to production or during QA and validation when it takes approximately five days to resolve. Reducing this time has a substantial impact on efficiency and effectiveness as teams spend less time recoding when defects are identified earlier in the development lifecycle.
Currently the most implemented DevOps initiatives include virtual databases (43 per cent), agile data masking (38 per cent) and continuous deployment (36 per cent).