The man was arrested as part of Operation Tuleta, which is looking at computer hacking and other privacy breaches not covered by the main News of the World-related investigation
Police have arrested a man on suspicion of computer hacking as part of an investigation that runs alongside the ongoing phone-hacking scandal at News International.
The 52 year-old was arrested on Thursday by officers in Milton Keynes and is being held on suspicion of Computer Misuse Act offences, The Press Association said. He has not been named.
According to PA, he is being questioned by officers over allegations that private investigators working for News International, publisher of the News of the World and the Sun, were also involved in computer hacking.
The arrest is part of Operation Tuleta, which was set up earlier this year to deal with allegations connected to the News of the World phone-hacking scandal but which are not covered by Operation Weeting, the main investigation.
"Operation Tuleta is investigating a number of allegations regarding breach of privacy, received by the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) since January 2011, which fell outside the remit of Operation Weeting, including computer hacking," a spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said.
Officers running Operation Weeting have arrested a number of people over the phone hacking allegations. These include former News of the World editor and Downing Street communications director Andy Coulson, former News of the World editor and News International chief executive Rebekah Brooks and Clive Goodman, News of the World’s former royal editor.