The JV will initially design radio frequency ICs
Toshiba and its Brazilian affiliate Semp Toshiba Informática have established a semiconductor design house STI Semiconductor Design Brasil as a joint venture (JV) with $4m capital in São Paulo.
The JV will be 70% owned by Semp Toshiba Informática and Toshiba will hold the remaining 30% stake.
The new company will initially design radio frequency ICs, widely used devices that are expected to see demand growth in Brazil.
The semiconductor design house, which will initially have a small core design team, is expected to be expanded with up to 30 within a few years.
Semp Toshiba Informática president Afonso Antonio Hennel will serve as the president of STI Semiconductor Design Brasil.
The JV is based on the memorandum of understanding signed last year, under the framework for reinforcing cooperation in economic and industrial development between the Brazilian and Japanese governments, including the cultivation of a Brazilian semiconductor industry.