KPN’s German mobile unit, E-Plus, has been winning new subscription contracts by offering i-mode services. The company has revealed that 25% of its 38,000 strong i-mode customer base have come from former subscribers of rival companies such as Vodafone, and the remaining 75% are existing E-Plus clients who have chosen to upgrade.
At present, there are over 100 content providers for i-mode services in Germany. The content available is gradually seeing a greater deal of variety, but the most popular services remain ring tone downloads, messaging and sport and weather updates.
The service has also been gaining popularity in the Netherlands and i-mode will be launched officially in Belgium later in the year by KPN Mobile subsidiary, BASE.